Budge Law Firm, PLLC

Child Support Attorney in Mesa

What is child support?

Child support is a payment that the noncustodial parent makes as a contribution to raising his or her child.

How is child support established?

In Arizona, the only way to establish a support amount is through a court order.  Both of the parents’ incomes are used to calculate the amount of child support that the noncustodial parent will pay to financially support the children.  A formal request must be made to the court asking for a court order to establish a support amount.  Child custody must be determined before support is established.

How much will my child support obligation be?

Support is calculated according to the Arizona Child Support Guidelines.  The calculation takes into account the combined gross income of the parents and many other factors that affect the amount owed.  The Court provides an online Child Support Calculator to estimate the cost of support.

Where are the payments sent?

Payments should be sent directly to the Child Support Clearinghouse at:

Arizona Support Payment Clearinghouse

P.O. Box 52107

Phoenix, AZ 85072

Can I modify my child support?

Support can be modified after divorce, if the financial circumstances of the paying party, the receiving party or the child or children have substantially changed.  If illness or job loss has affected your ability to pay child support (or created a need for more if you are the primary care giver), your child support may be modified by the court.  Please contact our office at 480-246-8050 for more information.

What should I do if my spouse doesn’t pay the child support ordered by the court?  

A party who fails to pay court ordered support is subject to a judgment for arrearages and collection and may also be liable for contempt.  Support is generally payable through a wage garnishment and the delinquent payer may also be subject to restrictions or suspensions of professional, occupational and/or driver’s licenses.

If you have any questions or concerns about child support that you may owe, or that is owed to you, please contact our office at 480-246-8050 for your FREE CONSULTATION.  We will help you through the process and answer any questions that you may have.  Contact us today.


Helpful Links

Child Support Calculator

Division of Child Support Services

Arizona Rules of Family Law Procedure